Code Champions is running a coding course for Saint Kentigern students during the coming school holiday.
Join us for two days of coding activities based on the BBC micro:bit. This is a programmable micro-computer, a tiny circuit board designed to help kids learn to code and create with technology. It has many features including an LED display, buttons, and a motion sensor.
- Dates: Monday 10 and Tuesday 11, October 2022
- Time: 9.15am sign-in for 9.30am start. Pick up at 3pm.
- Location: DVC – Design & Visual Communication Room (ground floor of the Specialist Building), Saint Kentigern Boys’ School
- Tutor: Greg Adams
- Content: Coding using the BBC micro:bit. This is a great piece of kit that provides not only an engaging coding challenge but also some impressive outcomes. After introducing the micro:bit, students will work through a series of activities that code the device to perform specific functions. These will include programming things like a compass, step counter, dice, spirit level, 7-second game, magic 8-ball, and basic calculator.
- Age: This course is for students in Years 4, 5 and 6 (Please note, we can only accept students from Saint Kentigern Boys’ and Girls’ Schools.)
- Coding experience: None required. This is an introductory course to the micro:bit. We’ll start at the beginning and take students through the basics, although the expectation is that we’ll move fairly quickly as our young coders get the hang of things. We’ll primarily be using block coding (similar to Blockly and Scratch), so knowledge of block coding is useful but not essential. We may also progress to some text coding in Python.
The real challenge for those attending will be understanding the processes involved in designing how the code fits together and works, as well as actually programming and operating the micro:bit.
If students have already worked with micro:bits, then this course may go over material that’s already familiar and not teach them anything new. Please feel free to contact us and discuss, if you’re unsure whether the content is suitable.
The cost for the two-day course is $230 (this includes the use of a computer and a micro:bit starter kit during the two days, as well as access to appropriate software).
Places on the course are limited. If you’re interested and would like to book a spot – or have any questions – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Code Champions September 2022