Python is one of the most popular and widely used programming languages in the world.
While it may have started life as a hobby project named after comedy group Monty Python, we think it’s the best language to learn the basics of computer coding (although we do use others, like HTML and Scratch, as needed).
There are several reasons why we’ve chosen to use it as the basis for our coding courses:
- Python uses natural, everyday language elements, like recognisable words. This simple syntax makes it relatively intuitive and, generally, easier to write, read, and understand.
- Its straightforward layout means that you can work out what each line of code is doing.
- Python is a highly versatile, general purpose language that can be used in many different ways. These include apps and games, web development, data analytics, AI, and machine learning.
- It’s an open-source language, meaning anyone can use Python to code. In fact, there’s a thriving community worldwide that supports and develops it use.
- The code will run without the need for it to be compiled into a machine language, which means it’s quick and easy to see the results.
- There’s a high demand for programmers with a knowledge of Python. Many of the biggest organisations in the world implement it in some form. NASA, Google, Netflix, Spotify, and countless more all use the language to help power their services.
- Launched in 1991 and now in its third generation, Python’s been around for a while and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, so it will always be a useful skill to have.
Overall, Python is relatively easy to learn, making it a great way to start building programming knowledge.
Find out more about Python at python.org
Code Champions 2022